Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Different Kind of Summer

I would say this has been a different kind of summer compared to all my summer breaks from work. I will be starting my 8th year working for Keller ISD this Fall ( can't be that old?!?). The first three summers I just didn't know how good I had it. I was married and worked part time jobs to make ends meet. We even traveled to Turkey for a 10 day trip.



The fourth summer (2008) I was pregnant with Calvin and I didn't work. It was a good but anxious summer. Jared had just graduated from Seminary and no job in sight, a baby on the way, no idea of how we were going to stay afloat, and no room to put the baby in. As always, God provided a part time job for Jared which turned into a full time job down the road. We moved to a three bedroom duplex in North Richland Hills and we some how made it.




The summer of 2009 I added two roles to my carefree summers: mom & full time graduate student. The first semester of graduate school was hard!!! I had to face all of my "I'm not smart enough" doubts I have struggled with since childhood. Thanks to God, prayer, friends, family, and especially my Mom (putting up with multiple phone calls filled with tears on my end)... I passed all my classes :)








Summer of 2010 was similar to 2009, but I worked at Grapevine Baylor in the outpatient clinic for my summer practicum. School was hard enough, but then I had to add working in an environment that was completely foreign to me. I had completed classes in the medical side of Speech Therapy but actually doing it was very different! Once again I passed my classes and finished practicum. In my spare time I played with my sweet sweet Calvin.









This summer has been the best yet! Six words to describe it.... Calvin, cooking, reading, movies, internship, and school. The last two aren't my favorite but my summer school load isn't bad. I have become obsessed with www.foodlushblog.com and discovering new recipes to attempt. (Mom & Kris- who would of though!?) I have read some great fiction books, joined a book club, watched all the Harry Potter movies, watched more movies, gone swimming, played outside with Cal, taken Cal to story time, hung out with friends, painted (Painting With a Twist), etc. Next summer should be even better though... no work, internship, or school. Just hanging out with friends & family :)




(Peanut Buttercup Cheesecake... Yum!!)

3 comments:

The Greers said...

So fun!! Sounds like you are having a great summer and that cheesecake looks amazing! :)

Kristin Edwards said...

Glad to find your blog..thanks for posting on FB. I feel a little caught up on your lives now. haha! Enjoy the rest of your summer. We'll eventually run into each other!

Kristen said...

Sounds like a great summer...just imagine how next summer will be!!! That cheesecake looks AMAZING!!!

Followers